Monday, April 14, 2014

agathosune

Agathosune is a Greek term to mean loosely, "to do a little good," but more officially the intrinsic goodness that comes from God and shows itself in moral excellence.

This word appears four times in the Bible, but its caught my eye in one in particular. In Galatians 5:22-23 the Fruits of the Spirit are listed. "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law." (NIV italics mine) I've studied this list recently during a study by Beth Moore, but it's the thought of goodness that has kept rolling around my head. 

I've written this word, this agathosune, on a card and taped it to the window above my window. There's a whisper in my head when I feel my voice getting a strained tone with my preschooler, "do a little good," that reminds me to change my tone and give a little grace. When one more person asks me to complete a task as church and I'm tempted to inwardly roll my eyes, even though I know I'll say yes, I remember agathosune, just do a little good. 

I'm not being asked to move mountains, I'm not being told to run the world with three cotton balls, a roll of duct tape, and five quarters. It's not an impossible task I'm asked to complete. God has asked me to "do a little good" to possess and show that goodness He has shown me time and again.


No comments:

Post a Comment